Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Your top 5 most downloaded Freegal Music tracks

"Driver picks the music, shotgun shuts his cakehole."
- Dean as played by Jensen Ackles in Supernatural

I don't know about anybody else but Dean's saying above (which I like to use with my sisters but gets me absolutely nowhere) is totally the case in our household. Whichever person is driving is the one who gets to decide what music the rest of us listen to. My sisters and I took a road trip a couple of years ago to visit my grandfather's home town in the far north; I was banned from driving the car during our vacation. My love of country music, classic rock and the 80s will get me relegated to the backseat every time. It probably doesn't help that I have this unfortunate habit of driving like whatever music happens to be playing at the time. And it's made worse, I would think, by the fact that I adore angry girl music. The louder the better, as far as I'm concerned. A few years back, as a precautionary measure, my sisters removed all angry girl music from the car and replaced it with harmless schmaltzy stuff. Huh. Things I didn't know until that moment: The world is a very different place when one drives sedately. Still, as bad as my music tastes are (at least according to my siblings) I'm beginning to wonder about all of YOU. Yes, YOU. The title of this post, you may have noticed, is 'YOUR top 5 most downloaded Freegal Music tracks' for one very simple reason: these are all down to YOU. Interestingly, none of these tracks are ones I would have chosen for myself. What is WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE? I'm kidding. Slightly. Although I do wonder what my driving would be like should I download all of these and try them for myself...

Freegal Music
Auckland Libraries members can now enjoy three free, legal music downloads a week with Freegal Music. You can access thousands of files from the vast Sony Music catalogue. So, how does it work? Like this:

  • Log in with your Auckland Libraries barcode number and PIN to browse Freegal Music (you can contact us if you have any queries/problems: tosca.waerea@aucklandcouncil.govt.nz)
  • Each library member can download up to three songs per week
  • Each song has a sample clip you can listen to before downloading
  • You can keep track of your downloads by using the counter at the top of the site
  • The download counter resets itself every Monday afternoon. (Please note: Unused downloads do not carry over into the next week)
  • Please note that downloads cannot be reversed under any circumstances, even if you cancel the download
  • If your download is interrupted or cancelled by accident, you can download it again from the Recent Downloads. You can do this twice, and only for songs downloaded in the current and last week
  • Have you used Freegal Music?
    If you haven't, will you try it out?

    Good night by Reece Mastin
    I got my t-shirt and S=sneakers on
    No one to mess around with fate
    It feels so wrong I'm gonna live it up tonight
    Forgeting those who dim
    My light

    Tosca's comment: For those who don't know, Reece Mastin won the third season of X Factor Australia in 2011, and I swear to Hades his name is everywhere I look online. Almost as much as the One direction guys. We also have Reece's self-titled debut album on CD. Photo credit: JB Hi-Fi.

    Want you back by Cher Lloyd (feat. Astro)
    Hey, boy you never had much game
    Thought I needed to upgrade
    So I went and walked away way way
    Now, I see you've been hanging out
    With that other girl in town
    Looking like a pair of clowns clowns clowns

    Tosca's comment: Lloyd placed fourth in the seventh season of X Factor UK. We also have Cher Lloyd's album Sticks + stones on CD. Photo credit: JB Hi-Fi

    Young homey by Chris Renee
    That's how it's supposed to be
    Living life with loved ones close to me
    Shh, ahh, this is the remedy
    And I got the recipe, I don't need no Hennessy
    Yeah, it's been nine months now
    Haven't had a drink and I'm starting to see clear now
    I'm putting all my fears down
    I can hear the cheers now
    Seeing peace signs when I look around

    Tosca's comment: Chris Rene placed third in the first season of X Factor USA. Rene's audition piece was his own song Young homie. I'll be honest and cop to it upfront: I bawled my eyes out when he told his story about drugs and booze and gangs. We all know I'm a sap.

    We are young by the cast of Glee
    So if by the time the bar closes
    And you feel like falling down
    I’ll carry you home
    Tonight
    We are young
    So let’s set the world on fire
    We can burn brighter than the sun

    Tosca's comment: I used to adore Glee. Now I watch it and I wait for Finn and/or Rachel to die. Well, no, not quite. I watch it so I can SQUEE and OOH and AAHH over the perfection that is Blaine. My sibling said I'm a bit ghoulish waiting for Finchel to be killed in some horrible made-for-tv accident. Strangely, I'm ok with that. Irritating and annoying couples aside, the music I love times eleventy hundred. And OH! Did you see Matt Bomer? *sigh*

    Shut up & kiss me by Reece Mastin
    Out in the crowd, it's the middle of the night
    Everybody's looking at you
    Familiar faces but nothing seems to phase me
    It's all about me and you
    Yeah, the night is still young
    We gotta have some fun
    We'll leave it all behind now
    I'm not saying I'm mister right But leave without a fight I gotta make a move somehow

    Tosca's comment: That's right. Your most downloaded Freegal Music track is Australia's Reece Mastin. This is where you either a) read it and weep OR b) read it and celebrate OR c) tell everyone you know about Freegal Music so you guys can make something else #1 instead :)

    2 comments:

    breve711 said...

    i choose option A lol. i love freegal! i've been using it to download all the songs off supernatural :) granted, they don't have all of them, but they have some! got 3 this week :) my supernatural playlist is growing

    tosca said...

    You went for the read it and weep option? LOL I opted for C, instead, and quite happily talk it up to everyone I know. Admittedly, not so #1 will change, more because it's free and it's legal :)