Wednesday, December 7, 2011

My Top 5 recipes from Alison & Simon Holst’s 'The New Zealand bread book'

List by Annie

"A loaf of bread, a jug of wine, and thou."
- Omar Khayyam

My Top 5 recipes from Alison & Simon Holst’s The New Zealand bread book

I grew up in a house where my mum made bread. And, because I was a kid and most kids’ mums didn’t make bread, sometimes this was embarrassing. But I do have fond memories of a group of my classmates around our house, all making bread with my mum.

Because I’m a fan of Alison Holst’s recipes, the bread book caught my eye. I’m getting into baking in a big way – so seeing it for sale really cheaply persuaded me to give it a go.

Now, a year on, I can offer my fav go-to recipes out of this book. In another year, I’ll probably have some more! Where available, I’ve added my notes from my copy of the book. I’m so addicted, my family bought me a food mixer for my 40th, one with a sturdy dough hook.

If you’re looking for something a little bit different to contribute to those ‘bring-a-plate’ functions this season, try these out.
~ Annie, Central



Honourable mentions:
  • Danish Pastries - I’ll admit it – these took A LOT of work. But they were so worth it! Almost better than the bread recipe itself, is the custard recipe! I use that lots – in cream-puffs (custard, not cream in my family) and with ice-cream. No custard powder custard in my life once I’d eaten this. Made 28/29 November 2010: nice, but way complicated. Custard fab.
  • Garlic & Olive Bread - 6 November 2010: used bain-marie (ie pan of water at the bottom of the oven) to make crusty.
  • Wholemeal Bread - 30 January 2011: perfect. Lasts well.
  • Gluten-free Ciabatta, Buns & Pizza Base - Christmas 2010: even the gluten-eaters liked these. The gluten-free eaters thought they were among the best gluten-free bread they’d eaten.

  • And, a special addition:
    I make my own spreads to go with many of these. Simple recipe – but you will need a blender-type thing...

    Blitz together a couple of handfuls of sundried tomatoes, a clove or two of garlic (depending on what you feel like), some breadcrumbs to bind it a bit, and enough oil from the sundried tomato jar to get the right consistency. If you feel like it, add some balsamic vinegar.

    I do the same sort of thing but with olives instead, adding olive oil.

    Sundried Tomato Bread
    19 January 2011: yummy. Added tomato ‘pesto’.

    Kumara & Cumin Bread
    No photo of this one, because it got inhaled at a work bake-off.
    7 November 2010: yummy. Used maple syrup instead of honey. Very moist.

    Simon’s All Purpose White Bread Recipe
    All-purpose, all-powerful, all-good. I chop and change this one – adding grains and seeds as I feel
  • 20 October 2010: fab & easy
  • 20 February 2011: added seeds & grains and made into buns








  • No comments: